Pages

Saturday 21 September 2013

Preliminary Task Evaluation

I believe that the house style of the magazine is good as the colour scheme I used is from the Haydon logo which makes it look like they belong together, rather than using contrasting colours such as orange or purple. I also think the font I chose to use is suitable as it is a sans serif font which is suitable for the readers -who are young- because it is more modern looking, unlike serif fonts which are traditional and more serious looking.

I think the main image I used on the front cover is effective and suitable because it displays positive expressions which as a school magazine, is very important because you would want the readers of the magazine to know about the good news within the school. Also I think I that the size of the two students in the image are just right as I was able to fit sell lines around it comfortably without it being too crowded or too empty.

In addition, I think I did a good job with the sell lines because they are interesting and they vary which makes it suitable for students in different years -as there must be one which interests them. Also I made them white and yellow so that they matched with the Haydon logo, which makes it look professional. What’s more, I feel that having an image next to the sell line will interest people as they can get a glimpse of the news before reading what it’s about.

For the contents page, I believe that the layout it is very good as it is organised which makes it easier for the readers to read and find what page it is on with the corresponding page numbers on the left. Also the images on the page are fairly colourful which would draw the reader’s attention and therefore lead them to be curious of what it’s about. Furthermore the use of social networking sites is very useful as the main target audience are students who are likely to use one of those social networking sites listed and therefore can get them updated on news within the school.

However, I think I could improve on the quality of the images as for this task I only used my phone camera which is fairly low quality. Another thing is that the text on the front cover is slightly hard to read so I could improve it by adding an outline or shadow so that it stands out more and doesn’t look camouflaged. Furthermore the contents page looks a little plain and boring so I could perhaps add a background colour or image to make it look more appealing.


When I do the real task I will consider what I learnt from this preliminary task to ensure that it is made to a good quality. I will also use some of the elements which I thought I did well in, in the real task e.g. the layout of the contents page.

No comments:

Post a Comment